Windows Server 2003 - service won't start
This system has worked recently. For some reason the rsync server service starts and stops. The following in in the log.
Any help will be really appreciated. Mike
Event Type: Information
Event Source: RsyncServer
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Time: 12:44:32 PM
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( RsyncServer ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: RsyncServer: PID 3476: `RsyncServer' service stopped, exit status: 11.
Exit 11 seems to be a file I/O error, however the config file is in tact and where it is supposed to be. I also re-installed in case, and it still fails.
Have you upgraded your system by windows patches or a new service pack ?
i get this all the time too and i can fix it by
1. delete the .pid file in the cwrsync directory under program files
2. start the service
have you got this problem solved? I also have this problem with windows server 2003. Also is anyone know how to use your own account instead of "SvcwRsync" account? please help me point to the right direction. many thanks, Johnny
You will probably find more information about the problem in rsync daemon's log file located at the installation directory.
1. Create an AD account (service account) and add it to Administor group of the server. I'm sure it doesn't need all these rights but I'm not that worried about this server.
2. Give the "Service" account rights to the network shares you are syncing to.
3. Go to RsyncServer service properties and change the logon "This account" to the "Service" account you created earlier and enter password.
4. Change startup to "automatically" and start the service.
Hope this helps. I also posted how I set mine up using ssh and cwRsync_Server at this post. http://www.itefix.no/i2/node/11431
I also have this problem with windows server 2003. Also is anyone know how to use your own account instead of "SvcwRsync" account? please help me point to the right direction.
Can the service be configured to delete the PID-file at startup? I just noticed my backups has not been running since the machine was taken down by power failure and the service could not start since the PID-file was still around.
Just remove pidfile directive in rsyncd.conf ..
Quick, simple and effective! Thank you very much!